The school year opens with this formal ceremony held in the Meeting House on the Green. The Head of School welcomes all students and faculty. The Head Prefect is introduced and delivers an address. And the top scholars for each class from the previous academic year are announced.
The Convocation Address is delivered by the faculty member who receives the annual Class of ’55 Distinguished Teacher Award for Emerging Excellence. In addition, the holders of our endowed chairs are introduced. New faculty are appointed to each of these positions every three years:
- The Wallace Rowe Chair in Critical Expression
- The Tisch Chair for Excellence in Teaching
- The Hamilton Gibson Chair for Humanities
- The Noto Family Chair for Dedicated Service
- The Anne and Henry Zarrow Chair for Math and Science