In 1850 Frederick Gunn established a school based on the belief that strength of character was the goal of education. Mr. Gunn recognized that character, the kind of person you are, is shaped not only by how students compete on the playing field, perform on stage, and conduct themselves in the dorm, but it also ought to compel students to action. A courageous abolitionist, Mr. Gunn welcomed boys and girls, students black and white, as well as international students, in defiance of social norms. The first international students came to his school from China in 1872. In the decades that followed, the school’s global reach continued to grow. Today, our continuous focus on moral character development intentionally engages all members of our school in the work of creating an inclusive and equitable living and learning ecosystem.
Our current international student population represents over 20 countries and we have alumni in 49 countries around the world. International students make up 20% of the total school body. When students first arrive, they are warmly welcomed and quickly come to think of our beautiful campus as their second home. Our students are encouraged to share their traditions, cultures and customs with the community through events such as the International Fair and themed luncheons celebrating the Chinese New Year, the Indian festival of colors known as Holi, and the Jewish traditions of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. We welcome applications from all over the world and celebrate the backgrounds of each of our students.
- Is there a separate application for international students?
- If English is my second language, am I required to submit an English language proficiency test?
- For students from mainland China applying for the 2024-25 school year, the application requirements are:
- How are interviews conducted for international students?
- How can I get to know The Frederick Gunn School if I am unable to visit campus?
- Who can I contact if I have additional questions?
- When do I find out an admissions decision?
- WHAT IS THE FINANCIAL AID APPLICATION PROCESS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS?
For additional information, please contact Caralyn Dea, Director of International Recruitment & Senior Associate Director of Admissions, at email@example.com.