Our New Name
Think boldly, fearlessly; never fear where unfettered thought will lead you.
The Gunnery Announces Name Change to The Frederick Gunn School to Reflect its Commitment to Visionary Founder
The Gunnery announced today that it is changing its name after 170 years to The Frederick Gunn School. The change honors the vision and ideals of school founder Frederick Gunn, an outdoorsman and naturalist recognized as the founder of camping in the United States, a courageous abolitionist, a leader of the Underground Railroad in Washington, and a pioneering educator.
- Why is the school’s name being changed now?
- What is the significance of naming our school The Frederick Gunn School?
- What traits defined Frederick Gunn?
- Did Frederick Gunn name our school The Gunnery?
- What will our school stand for going forward?
- What does it mean to ‘Be a Force for Good’ and why is that important to The Frederick Gunn School?
- Were any alumni, besides Board members, consulted in this decision?
- Was the decision to change our school’s name supported by the Board?
- What happens after the name change?
- What specific commitments are left to complete the campus rebuild?
- Are there commitments beyond rebuilding campus?
- Will new programs be developed?
- Does diversity, equity and inclusion fit into this vision?
- Can we still celebrate The Gunnery when visiting campus?
- Is our motto changing?
- Are we still the Highlanders?
- Are there changes to our school colors?
- Can I get a Frederick Gunn School diploma?
- Can I still buy Gunnery gear?
- Can you elaborate on Frederick Gunn welcoming “male and female, black, white and Asian” students as mentioned in your announcement video?
- Frederick Gunn sounds fascinating! How can I learn more about him?
Return to Homepage