- The Campus Safety Office is located in Bourne Hall and will soon be complemented by an additional office on the lower level of Brinsmade House. Both offices are central to our campus. Students, parents and employees can contact Campus Safety by calling the office 24/7 on (860) 350-0150.
- The School is transitioning the overnight campus safety team from a contract with Securitas, Inc., to trained safety professionals who will provide our 24/7 campus safety presence around the entirety of our campus.
- Campus is monitored by walking and vehicular patrols that operate alongside an expanding network of public security cameras. Cameras monitor primary points of entry around the periphery of campus, with the camera network currently adding nearly 20 new cameras around campus at key public locations. The School will endeavor to take reasonable precautions to maintain privacy and security within the sphere of operations. For example, cameras will not be installed in areas where there is a “reasonable expectation of privacy.”
- The Campus Safety team conducts regular safety audits of all security systems across campus, including reviews of security cameras, emergency locking systems, and our emergency broadcast system.
- Blackboard Connect 5 is our emergency broadcast system for mass notifications and allows emergency alerts and updates to be sent to our community through emails, phone calls, and text messages when needed.
- Campus lighting continues to be assessed with investments moving forward to address dark locations around campus.
- Campus Safety officers lock many areas of campus buildings at the conclusion of each day in an effort to ensure that student access to such areas is appropriately limited after hours.
- The Director of Campus Safety meets regularly with local and state police to review and discuss best practices for school safety.
Meet the Director of Campus Safety
Mr. Mihaly joined The Frederick Gunn School in 2021 as Director of Campus Safety and Assistant Coach for Varsity Football. A Connecticut native, he is a graduate of Seymour High School and holds a bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Nichols College in Dudley, Massachusetts, where he also played football. Prior to joining Gunn, Zach served as Director of Campus Safety at Albertus Magnus College and Head Coach for baseball and football at Emmett O’Brien Technical High School. From 2017-2019, he was the Head Football Coach at Nonnewaug High School. In his spare time, Zach likes to read, work out, hunt, and fish. He lives off campus with his fiancée, Lauren, son, Cooper, and two dogs, Jayden and Mick.